I fell in love with Christian Dior's Bonne Etoile Palette at first sight. I mean, do you blame me? Look at it:
However, a few things stood in the way of our ever being together. The first was the fact that I have never been that sold on the quality of CD shadows - I have had a couple of the 5 Coleurs palettes and gave them away because they just weren't pigmented enough. The second was the price - $103?? Sure they have pretty stars stamped into them, but still...wow. So I decided I'd try to find all five colours within the myriad of shadows I already own - in beauty jargon, "shop my stash".
Despite almost caving and buying Bonne Etoile on several occasions, I talked myself out of it each time. I knew I would regret this purchase immediately, and put it away in a bottom drawer where it would lurk as a constant guilty reminder - a kind of Tell-Tale Heart of makeup purchases.
Finally I came up with the brilliant idea of "shopping my stash", to see if I could come up with a close enough dupe to satisfy those faint pangs of longing I still occasionally experience.
The colours I was looking for were (anticlockwise from the bottom of the pic above):
1. A deep teal metallic
2. A shimmery seafoam green
3. A mushroom pink frost
4. A khaki green
5. (centre of palette) A shimmery chocolate brown
I came up with a few combinations, but the winner is:
1. Deep teal: MAC Birds and Berries
2. Seafoam green: MAC Aquadisiac
3. Mushroom frost: MAC Prance (Mega Metals range)
4. Khaki: TheBalm Lead Zeppelin (from the Balm Jovi palette)
5. Chocolate brown: L'Oreal Infallible Endless Chocolate (it's a bit darker & cooler in real life)
I think I did well! The chocolate, teal and mushroom colours are spot on, and I actually like my MAC seafoam green better because it has subtle gold shimmer. I also think once Lead Zeppelin (the olive green) is layered over the darker colours, I probably won't need to blend it with anything to get a similar result to the "real thing".
For this I used:
1. Deep teal: Bossy Bobbi (more blue but still ok)
2. --- no colour match --- (used MAC Aquadisiac)
3. Mushroom: Tempting Tara (white) blended with Just This Once Jamie (dusty pink)
4. Khaki: Makeout Mary (a bright metallic olive) blended with Caught in the Act Courtney
5. Chocolate brown: Caught in the Act Courtney
Overall I'm very happy I resisted the urge to get the CD palette, and it was worth the time to find similar colours in my stash. I had fun and my whole arm is covered in swatches!
Have you ever shopped your stash to satisfy a beauty craving?