Sunday 15 September 2013

Shopping My Stash: duping the Christian Dior Bonne Etoile palette

I fell in love with Christian Dior's Bonne Etoile Palette at first sight. I mean, do you blame me? Look at it:

Le sigh.

However, a few things stood in the way of our ever being together. The first was the fact that I have never been that sold on the quality of CD shadows - I have had a couple of the 5 Coleurs palettes and gave them away because they just weren't pigmented enough. The second was the price - $103?? Sure they have pretty stars stamped into them, but still...wow. So I decided I'd try to find all five colours within the myriad of shadows I already own - in beauty jargon, "shop my stash".


Despite almost caving and buying Bonne Etoile on several occasions, I talked myself out of it each time. I knew I would regret this purchase immediately, and put it away in a bottom drawer where it would lurk as a constant guilty reminder - a kind of Tell-Tale Heart of makeup purchases.


Finally I came up with the brilliant idea of "shopping my stash", to see if I could come up with a close enough dupe to satisfy those faint pangs of longing I still occasionally experience.


 The colours I was looking for were (anticlockwise from the bottom of the pic above):

1. A deep teal metallic
2. A shimmery seafoam green
3. A mushroom pink frost
4. A khaki green
5. (centre of palette) A shimmery chocolate brown

I came up with a few combinations, but the winner is:



1. Deep teal: MAC Birds and Berries
2. Seafoam green: MAC Aquadisiac
3. Mushroom frost: MAC Prance (Mega Metals range)
4. Khaki: TheBalm Lead Zeppelin (from the Balm Jovi palette)
5. Chocolate brown: L'Oreal Infallible Endless Chocolate (it's a bit darker & cooler in real life)

I think I did well! The chocolate, teal and mushroom colours are spot on, and I actually like my MAC seafoam green better because it has subtle gold shimmer. I also think once Lead Zeppelin (the olive green) is layered over the darker colours, I probably won't need to blend it with anything to get a similar result to the "real thing".

Just FYI, I could ALMOST get a "close enough" version of this using only TheBalm's Shady Lady Vol. 2 palette (it was missing a seafoam green):
 For this I used:

1. Deep teal: Bossy Bobbi (more blue but still ok)
2. --- no colour match --- (used MAC Aquadisiac)
3. Mushroom: Tempting Tara (white) blended with Just This Once Jamie (dusty pink)
4. Khaki: Makeout Mary (a bright metallic olive) blended with Caught in the Act Courtney
5. Chocolate brown: Caught in the Act Courtney

Overall I'm very happy I resisted the urge to get the CD palette, and it was worth the time to find similar colours in my stash. I had fun and my whole arm is covered in swatches!

Have you ever shopped your stash to satisfy a beauty craving?

6 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job, Kris! I've tried to shop my stash several times, to varying success. Sometimes I'm glad I could quell a craving from existing items, other times, I've just given in and bought something because it's pretty (and functional)!

    I think it's like what we addicts always say...they might be similar, but they aren't THE SAME! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I hadn't found a dupe for the deep teal I would have caved and bought the Dior! It made me realise just how many palettes and shadows I have....but more on that in another post - I will have to have a swatch fest!

      Delete
  2. I love the concept of shop my stash.... Aaah shopping without the guilt! You did a fantastic job of matching the colours too, they are pretty close.
    The CD palette just looks sooo pretty though, you were very good to resist!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm falling in love with the palette just by looking at it, so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent job! I also loved the CD palette when I first saw it. Unlike you, I have not had issues with CD eyeshadows although I think some of the finishes may be a problem for some people. I prefer matte or satin finishes rather than metallics. Would you believe I still have some palettes from 10 years ago that are still in great condition so that is a big plus for me in terms of quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job! I also loved the CD palette when I first saw it. Unlike you, I have not had issues with CD eyeshadows although I think some of the finishes may be a problem for some people. I prefer matte or satin finishes rather than metallics. Would you believe I still have some palettes from 10 years ago that are still in great condition so that is a big plus for me in terms of quality.

    ReplyDelete